Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hairdventure .....(Hair Adventure)!!!

Hey Guys,

How's y'allz day going? Mine is going great; Had a quite interesting conversation with an old friend today.....Mehn! it feels extra good catching up with old friends.

Am sure most people are quite aware of the tug of war going on about good hair and bad hair. To me, any hair that is healthy is good.....and that is all that matters to me. But then, i feel like most people ain't comfortable in there own skin, neither do they believe in there own sense of style (just my own opinion tho).

I ain't scared to express myself any way i deem fit and neither am I scared to rock my own unique style regardless of how different it is. For most of my life i have always rocked a low cut but then i didn't really had a choice cos my parent n school decided so...lol! Coming out of high school, i was so excited about finally being able to grow and get my hair done that i screwed my hair up so bad. Instead of waiting for my hair to grow naturally, i decided to skip steps and just perm it. My hope was that perm will make it grow longer faster but damn, i was dead wrong.

So, after a while tryna get my hair back to what it should be, I got fed up and decided it was time to go back Natural. After telling a couple of my friends about my decision to go natural(which most of them didn't support), I finally got my BIG CHOP in December of '09.

I have to be honest, it felt really different after a couple of yrs of having long hair; It was really easy to maintain and it grew fast too(at least much more than i expected)...I was able to wash it every morning and i totally loved it.

After a couple of months of rocking my low cut, my hair had grow enough for me to maneuver into different styles~ two strand twist(my fave), three strand twist, front cornrow w/ twist in the back, and Afro. I also have to acknowledge that i kinda cheated a lil bit tho, I got full weave, good old braids, and even strengthened my hair out a couple of times in between; usually when i didn't have that much time to dedicate to getting my hair taken care of daily.
(Three strand twist .....done by a friend of mine.....Don't really know how to do three strand....usually end up tangling my hair up whenever i try)
(Me rocking front cornrow with twist out at the back)

(Yet another front cornrow..... but with two strand twist at the back)
(Two strand Twist ....... which i usually convert to twist out after a couple of days)
(This is the pic i took for Black History Month in February of '09, rocking my Afro.....Am Black and Am Proud....lol!)
(My hair fully straightened out....usually avoid doing this cos of the heat use)

Natural hair is very beautiful (at least to those that appreciate it) but it has to go through quite a lot of different routines to keep it well maintained. Natural hair is actually the most driest hair out of all hair types and don't be fooled by its amazing thickness, Natural hair follicles are also the thinnest. As such, I will say it requires quite a lot of effort and dedication.

Few tips for taking care of Natural Hair:
1. Drink lots and lots of water
2. Moisturize hair Daily to prevent drying out
3. Wash weekly with natural product shampoo
4. Deep Condition every 2-3 weeks depending on how dry the hair is
5. Avoid apply heat as much as possible especially through use of Flat Irons and Curling Irons
6. Use Natural Oils or Natural materials based product; Totally avoid using mineral oil or petroleum oil based products
7. Comb and Brush Hair when wet or really moist
8.Protect hair with silk or satin cap while sleeping
9. Eat Healthy, a lot of vegetables and fruits
10. Carefully detangle hair regularly/ after washing to avoid serious breakage

Those are the few i can remember right now but do feel free Feel free to add more tips in
Overall, Am totally loving How healthy it is and guess what?~ I am proud to call myself nappy cos I am Happily Nappy...lol!

Enjoy the rest of the week y'all.....Hugs & Kisses!

Dami

6 comments:

  1. Wow, your pics are lovely. I just cut my hair the shortest it has ever been and this post has given me idea on what to do with it.

    Nice one, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cutie girl, love the pictures and thanks for sharing tips about natural hair.

    My sister have to read this post because she is natural.

    I perm my hair ever 6 months, it works best for me. Girl, loving your hair pictures, hope your weekend is refreshing and great. You stay blessed.

    1 tip for your hair, try using cholestrol on your hair as a conditioner, they sell it in the beauty stores, the result is amazing, soft and gentle like a baby's hair...:=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @myne whitman....Thanks, Am sure you would love your hair when it start to grow back....Natural Hair rocks....lol!

    @Yankeenaijababe.....Aww! thanks so much. Glad u are able to embrace what works well for you, that is def the most important thing.
    My weekend is going great, Spending quality time with great friends...Thanks so much, will def try it out....Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips..I'm sure would be useful for some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. first time here,just checking you out,cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. @blogaratti.......thanks, i hope so

    @muyiwa...... thank you, stay blessed

    ReplyDelete

Thanks For Dropping By, Much Love.